Who Can Apply: Applicants must be seeking degrees as enrolled college/university juniors, seniors, or graduate students during the summer and/or fall term in 2020. Scholarships are awarded without regard to the student’s major or field of academic concentration. Previous scholarship winners are not eligible.
1. Provide your résumé, with evidence of academic achievement and exemplary work in editing. Please include information on other substantial achievements/activities/interests.
2. References: Provide the names and titles or job descriptions of a total of three instructors and/or work supervisors, and their contact information.
3. Consider the following situation and then write, in 500 or fewer words, about what you would do if you were the rookie copy editor.
- The publisher at a medium-size news outlet (print and online) orders that a long report on the economy of a small far-off nation be posted as soon as possible, at length and prominently. (His niece is the author.) Naturally the story is given to the rookie copy editor, who finds the writing correct though turgid and the content wholly lacking in relevance to the news outlet’s U.S. mainstream audience.
4. By rewriting it, edit the following first paragraph of a news article to make it clearer, more reader-engaging, and no less accurate.
- WASHINGTON – In the most important Supreme Court verdict of the year, justices ruled 7-1 that Congress cheated health insurance companies by reneging on a $12-million promise made under the Affordable Care Act, which later came to be known by its nickname of Obamacare and was heavily criticized by GOP congressmen. During oral argument in December, forshadowing the April 2020 insurance windfall ruling that drew just one dissent, Justice John Robert said the insurers “would not have participated in the risk corridor program but for the government’s promise to pay.”
5. Write a headline using no more than nine words for each of these three pieces of news:
- At rocky sites across America, including Pikes Peak and the Grand Canyon, 550-million-year-old rock sits on top of rock that has existed as long as 3 billion years. But there’s nothing in between. It’s as though that time period between 3 billion years ago and 550 million years ago has literally been wiped from Earth. It’s called the Great Unconformity and some researchers believe it’s the result of one massive cataclysmic event in Earth’s history.
- Counterintuitive as it may seem, white voices carry a weight on matters of race that a black person’s does not, if only because other white people can’t dismiss their advocacy as self-interest. They will be heard in ways and places black people never will.
- Global finance officials are pledging closer cooperation in efforts to lift the world economy out its current slowdown, but tensions persist on a number of fronts between the United States and other nations over trade and other issues.
6. What is the worst thing a copy editor can do or allow regarding the editing of a news story? And why do you think it is the worst?
Deadline: November 15, 2020
Learn More: https://aceseditors.org/awards/scholarships