Who Can Apply: Ava’s Grace provides scholarships for students who have experienced parental incarceration. Students who live anywhere in Missouri or in the Illinois counties that comprise the St. Louis metropolitan area are eligible to apply. Several scholarships will be awarded including Summit’s Peak – the Ava’s Grace Scholarship for African American males.
- Applicant must have a parent who is or has been incarcerated in a U.S. penitentiary (state or federal).
- Applicant must be a permanent resident of Missouri, or the Illinois counties of Bond, Calhoun, Clinton, Jersey, Macoupin, Madison, Monroe or St. Clair for at least two years prior to the date of the application.
- Must demonstrate financial need.
- Must have achieved a minimum cumulative 2.5 grade point average on a 4.0 scale.
- Must plan to enroll in or be currently enrolled in a degree program at a nonprofit higher education institution accredited by a regional accrediting body (North Central or its equivalent in the region).
- Must be seeking a first Technical, first Associate or first Bachelor’s degree.
Submission: Please write a 250-500 word essay on the topic: Why I should be a recipient of the Ava’s Grace Scholarship.” Write about your career and educational goals and how you plan to achieve them, challenges and successes you have experienced, barriers that you have overcome, contributions you have made in the service of others, and honors and awards you have received.
Deadline: April 16, 2018
Amount: up to $5,000