Who Can Apply: This scholarship fund was created in memory of Baron P. “Deuce” Braswell II of Spotsylvania. Baron was the son of Baron Purnell Braswell and Gwendolyn Sue Braswell and he died tragically January 20, 2006. He was a junior and an honor student at Courtland High School. Baron was a very spiritual person and was an active member of the football, basketball, baseball and track teams, known for thanking God for his athletic abilities.
In establishing this scholarship, Baron’s family and friends wish to recognize the dedication to sports and academics of two students from any Spotsylvania, Stafford, Caroline and King George County or City of Fredericksburg high schools. At least two scholarships will be awarded to one male and one female athlete from the school areas above.
Applicants to the Baron P. “Deuce” Braswell II Memorial Scholarship Fund must:
- Be a graduating senior from any Fredericksburg City or Spotsylvania, Stafford, Caroline or King George County Schools.
- Have lettered in a varsity sport.
- Demonstrate plans to attend an institution of higher learning, which may be a 2-year or a 4-year college or vocational school.
- Two letters of recommendation from different sources (teacher, counselor, coach or supervisor).
- An essay of up to 900 words which tells a story about how your involvement in athletic activities helped you overcome personal challenges, including: your high school sports participation, what you learned from it and your plans for the future.
Deadline: March 1, 2020