Who Can Apply: The CCNMA Scholarships, including the Joel Garcia Memorial Scholarship, the Frank del Olmo Memorial Scholarship and the George Ramos Memorial Scholarship, are awarded annually to qualified Latino students who are planning to pursue a career in journalism. The scholarships range from $500 to $1,000 per student and are based on several criteria, including: commitment to the field of journalism, scholastic achievement, community awareness and financial need. Students must be enrolled full time for the entire academic year in which they apply. They must also be a California resident or attend an accredited college or university in California. All winners are invited to and recognized at the annual CCNMA Scholarship Banquet.
1. Completed application form.
2. Autobiographical essay (300 to 500 words) explaining your family background, including any hardships you’ve experienced, why you want to be a journalist and what you believe is the role, if any, of Latino journalists in the mainstream news media.
3. Two current reference letters, including at least one from a faculty member (no family members), that speak to the applicant’s journalism abilities.
4. Current official transcripts.
5. Resume, include any school or professional work and internships
6. Samples of your work. Work samples generally include articles and/or photographs published in school or community newspapers, or stories broadcast on campus or cable TV or radio stations. Print samples should not exceed five clips of published work, and must be photocopied, reduced or mounted to fit 8-1/2″ x 11″ dimensions. Video and Radio samples may contain more than one story, but total time may not exceed 10 minutes. Photography/Graphics samples should not exceed five prints and not exceed 8″ x 10.” No slides accepted.
Deadline: April 2, 2016
Amount: $500 to $1,000
Learn More: CCNMA Scholarships