Who Can Apply:
- Candidates must be enrolled or continuing in a graduate studies degree program in public relations, journalism or related fields, effective fall 2020.
- Candidates must have an undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0 out of 4.
- Candidates do not have to be a PRSSA member to apply. The award may be used at any U.S. college or university offering a graduate program in public relations or related field. Entries will be judged by a committee of three senior public relations professionals, each of whom will represent one of the three founding organizations for this award.
- A completed online application form
- One-page résumé
- An essay in English of up to 1,000 words that cogently summarizes the applicant’s views on why the corporate public relations function must be deeply engaged in C-Suite discussions and decisions affecting communication mandates that address corporate reputation, internal change management, brand and issue management, ethics, social responsibility and related areas. The essay requires minimal research in support of the applicant’s views, focusing primarily on the applicant’s strategic thinking and philosophical perspective. Chester Burger’s professional career was devoted to assisting CEOs and Boards of Directors in understanding and applying professional public relations theory and practice to manage large-scale corporate issues in the public interest – issues that went far beyond publicity, media relations and marketing communications. The essay should also include brief comments on other academic work you feel will contribute strongly to your success in public relations, as well as list any honors or awards that you have received and leadership experience you have gained on or off campus.
- Letter of recommendation of no more than two pages from a faculty member or PRSSA Faculty or Professional Adviser
- One additional letter of recommendation of no more than two pages from an internship employer, educator or other individual who knows the applicant and can address his or her potential as a public relations counselor to management
Deadline: June 1, 2020