Who Can Apply: Provide merit scholarships and financial assistance to students of Chinese descent in the Houston metropolitan area who plan to enroll in accredited universities in the United States.
- be a student of Chinese descent (minimum 1/4) who is a resident of (or whose parent or guardian resides in) the Greater Houston Metropolitan Area, and is currently enrolled in an accredited high school or secondary school with plans to graduate by June, 2017. AND
- begin full time undergraduate studies in an accredited college, university, or an institution of higher learning in the United States in the fall of 2017.
- For Education Award only: already enrolled in a Texas university majoring in education, OR a high school senior planning to enroll in a school of education.
- You will need a google account
- General Information – Name, Chinese name (optional), birth place, address, telephone number, email address, name of your parent/grandparent who qualifies you as a Chinese descent, and CPC member (if applicable)
- High School Information – name of school(s) and date(s), GPA, grading scale, rank in class (if applicable), and number in class
- Scores – SAT scores (writing, math, and verbal), PSAT, and/ or ACT
- List of your academic honors, awards, and scholarships include dates
- List of your extracurricular activities and personal initiatives. Describe your degree of involvement (number of hours per week) and positions of leadership in each activity
- Two recommendation letters from a teacher or counselor. (Please send letters to CPC Scholarship Chairs via email or mail).
- One typed, double-spaced essay with a minimum of 300 words and a maximum of 800 words. Choose one of the following topics:
- “Yourself and Your Aspirations”
- “Pick a topic which will tell use more about you in greater details. Examples may include: special talents in things such as music, painting, math, science fairs, debate, volunteerism, inventions, writing, exploration, and so forth”.
- For Education Award applicants only: Write an essay on why you are interested in teaching primary and secondary schools as your career.
- For Financial award applicants only: Submit a completed Confidential Parents’ Financial statement (google form, link is at the bottom of this page) and the parents’ most recent year’s income tax return (a copy of the first page with adjusted gross income on it). To qualify for financial aid considerations, the applicant’s family income must not exceed 300% of the current poverty guidelines as published by the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). Please see the Poverty guidelines tab at the top of this page.
Deadline: November 4, 2016
Learn More: http://cpchouston.net/