Don & Sybil Harrington Scholarship (Deadline: May 15, 2019)
Who Can Apply: The Trustees of the Sybil B. Harrington Trust, continuing the Harrington’s philanthropic vision, have established the Don and Sybil Harrington Scholarship Fund in association with the Arizona Community Foundation. The purpose of the fund is to provide financial assistance to academically outstanding high school seniors with high financial need in Maricopa County to attend college. Mr. and Mrs. Harrington had a lifetime commitment to improve life nationwide.
Because they believed education was essential to this effort, they established scholarship programs at the University of Texas, West Texas A&M, The Julliard School, Amarillo College and fellowships through Research to Prevent Blindness. The Harrington’s began their connection with Maricopa County through visits here in the 1950’s. In the 1960’s they adopted Phoenix as their second home and donated their art collection to the Phoenix Art Museum. In Phoenix, as in Amarillo, they contributed to the charitable needs of the community. Examples include the Harrington Arthritis Center, the Phoenix Zoo, KAET, and the Barrow Neurological Institute, among many other worthwhile causes.
- Graduating senior from an accredited high school in Maricopa County planning to begin full time college studies within four months of high school completion.
- Admitted to an accredited university or community college for full time undergraduate study.
- Financial need as indicated on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid report (www.fafsa.ed.gov/).
- 3.5 or higher cumulative grade point average in high school.
- Minimum college admission test score of 28 on the ACT or 1300 (Math + Reading/Writing) on the SAT.
- Demonstrated evidence of high motivation, determination to succeed and potential leadership.
Deadline: May 15, 2019