Who Can Apply: Dr. Michael Bowers received his Doctorate of Optometry in 1972 from The Ohio State University. He taught at the OSU College of Optometry from 1972-1974, before he moved to Englewood to establish his medical practice. Dr. Bowers lived by a central credo in life, “don’t just complain about it, do something to fix it.” As such, Dr. Bowers strongly believed in the importance of public service and the need to improve the community for the greater good. He served from 1978-1980 on the City of Englewood’s Planning Commission. From 1980 onward, he served as a City Councilman and later as Vice Mayor, until his election as mayor in 1998. He served continuously as the Mayor of Englewood from 1998 until his death in 2008. Dr. Bowers was a strong supporter of the Northmont Marching Band and was a proud “Pit Dad” for the Northmont Band Boosters, volunteering and supporting the program long after his daughter graduated from Northmont. The Dr. Michael Bowers Memorial Scholarship was established in 2014 for seniors graduating from Northmont High School who plan to attend a four-year college or university, have participated in the Marching Band, and have an excellent academic record.
• Be a graduating senior from Northmont High School
• Be a member of the Northmont Marching Band for three years, including senior year
• Have a minimum 3.9 GPA
• Be in the top 10% of the class
• Have taken or are enrolled in a minimum of two AP courses
• Be planning to enroll as a full-time student at a four-year college or university
• Have participated in extracurricular activities, inside or outside of school
- Tell us about yourself in 250 words.
- What is a problem or issue that has prompted you to action? (500 word limit)
- What is the single most significant experience of your life and how have you applied lessons from that experience? (500 word limit)
- Please provide three (3) letters of recommendation from people who can attest to your demonstrated maturity, character, leadership, self-confidence, warmth of personality, sense of humor, energy, concern for others, and grace under pressure.
- Letter of Recommendation #1
- Letter of Recommendation #2
- Letter of Recommendation #3
Deadline: March 6, 2020