The First Responders Children’s Foundation General Scholarship (Deadline: July 1, 2018)
Who Can Apply: General scholarships provide a maximum award of $5,000 for a single academic year. Awards are based on financial need as well as academic merit and other achievements, such as a demonstrated leadership, outstanding performance in the arts or sports, and/or volunteer activities benefiting the community. The number of scholarships awarded varies from year to year. This scholarship may be renewed annually (for up to a maximum of four years) depending on the availability of funds and the financial need and the academic record of the awardee.
Applicants must be dependent children, stepchildren or legally adopted children of an eligible law enforcement officer or firefighter who was killed or totally and permanently disabled in the line of duty.
- The applicant must have been conceived prior to the death or total and permanent disability of the eligible officer or firefighter.
- An applicant who is an adopted child must have been adopted by the eligible officer or firefighter prior to, or the adoption process must have begun prior to, the date of the death or total and permanent disability.
- An applicant who is a stepchild must have been listed as a dependent on the eligible officer or firefighter’s federal and state income tax returns in the income tax years immediately prior to the death or total and permanent disability.
- Candidates must be pursuing their first Bachelor’s degree, Associate’s degree, or Certificate at any accredited college, university or technical/vocational institution in the United States that participates in the federal financial aid programs offered through the U.S. Department of Education.
- Candidate must be enrolled as a full-time student during the entire academic year.
- Candidate must maintain a 2.7 out of a 4.0 grade point average, or the equivalent as documented by the Office of the Registrar at the academic institution.
- Candidate must be making satisfactory academic progress toward the completion of their program as defined and documented by the academic institution.
- Candidate must be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States attending school in the United States.
- Current First Responders Children’s Foundation officers and employees, and members of their immediate families are not eligible to apply.
Deadline: July 1, 2018