Who Can Apply: The Committee on Diversity in the Profession of the Society for Classical Studies (SCS) invites applications from undergraduate students from historically underrpresented groups across North America for scholarships to be awarded for Summer 2021. The purpose of the scholarships is to further students’ study of classics or classical archaeology with opportunities not available during the school year. Eligible proposals might include (but are not limited to) participation in classical summer programs or field schools in the Mediterranean or language training at institutions in the U.S., Canada, or Europe. The maximum amount of the award will be $4,500.
(1) the application form; (form is pending revision)
(2) a letter describing your career goals and plans for summer 2021, with a prioritized list of programs applied to. How would the proposed program help you achieve your future goals? Examples include, but are not limited to, completing a major or minor in Classics; preparing for post-baccalaureate work or graduate study; preparing for a field or profession beyond Classics in which you can apply your skills in a range of settings;
(3) two letters of recommendation from faculty members or other professionals who have worked with you during the past two years. Letters of recommendation should indicate how the candidate meets the criteria for the award; and both letter-writers should submit their letters directly to the SCS as e-mail attachments;
(4) a one-page summary of the projected or actual budget (e.g., airfare, tuition, program expenses, accommodation expenses, income replacement, etc.);
(5) a transcript of current undergraduate work. This should be either a secure (locked) transcript provided to you by your institution or an electronic version of your current transcript submitted by your department chair.
Deadline: December 20, 2020