Who Can Apply:
1) Must be attending an Accredited US Post-Secondary Institution in the Fall of 2021.
2) This scholarship is open to both Males and Females.
3) The applicant must be the SIBLING of a childhood cancer survivor (does not have to be receiving treatment to qualify), or of a patient that is currently diagnosed with a childhood cancer and is in treatment. Sibling must live in same household as childhood cancer patient, and specifically during their treatment. Siblings of childhood cancer patients that have not survived the diagnosis or treatment are also eligible.
4) The applicant is enrolled in or accepted for enrollment in an accredited undergraduate or graduate program.
5) Sofia’s Hope requires the recipient of a scholarship to submit a copy of an acceptance letter from the college/university of their choice or a letter of good standing from the registrar.
6) The applicant must submit the completed Scholarship Application. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
7) The applicant must submit at least one letter of recommendation from academic teacher addressing why they should receive the scholarship. Must be on official school letterhead.
8) A letter on official letterhead from patient or survivor’s attending physician verifying medical history and current medical situation must also be submitted. Medical information will be kept confidential and will only be utilized to support the qualification of consideration for the scholarship. For those whose sibling has not survived diagnosis or treatment and cannot obtain a letter from their attending physician, copy of medical records confirming name, age, and diagnosis will be accepted. Please do not upload death certificates.
9) The applicant must submit an essay discussing the following question. HOW HAS MY EXPERIENCE WITH CHILDHOOD CANCER IMPACTED MY LIFE AND CAREER GOALS? Essays must be a minimum of 500 words and a maximum of 1,000 words.
10) Awardees will be eligible to apply for funding every year, so long as they provide a testimonial and photo. More details will be provided to awardees.
11) The applicants and their parents if they are minors, must sign a release, that they agree to have their name and photo published in the news media or any Sofia’s Hope publication as a recipient of a Gabriela Blanco scholarship and that they agree to have their name, photo and success story published on Sofia’s Hope website or any other Sofia’s Hope publication.
Deadline: April 1, 2021