Who Can Apply: This scholarship fund was created in memory of Mrs. Irene Miller of Caroline County. Mrs. Miller began her career in public health nursing in 1940 and joined the Fredericksburg Department of Health in 1948. In 1954 she became nursing supervisor for the planning district and in 1968 she went on to serve as a Virginia Regional Supervisor covering a 14 counties and 4 city service area.
By establishing the Irene A. Miller Memorial Nursing Scholarship Fund in her will, Mrs. Miller wished to support the further education of a Caroline County student or students who wish to pursue a career in nursing. A scholarship will be awarded to a promising prospective nursing student from Caroline County who meets the scholarship application requirements.
Applicants to the Irene Miller Memorial Nursing Scholarship Fund must:
- Be a resident of Caroline County.
- Have attended Caroline High School for not less than one full academic year or hold a GED or equivalency.
- Two (2) letters of reference addressing the student’s academic promise and character. The letters must be from different sources such as a teacher, volunteer coordinator, adult supervisor, employer, etc.
- An essay of no more than 900 words that includes the following:
- Explain your reasons for applying for this scholarship, long term goals, and plans for achieving them.
- Outline school extracurricular activities and community service.
Deadline: March 1, 2020