Who Can Apply:
- Current student or alumnus/alumna at a U.S. college or university
- Between the ages of 17 and 24 as of time of submission
- No rights to the submitted work may have been assigned to a major music publisher or to a major record label
- Is not a prior BMI Foundation John Lennon Scholarship winner (excluding Honorable Mentions)
- Applicants may submit only one song to the competition.
- The submitted work must be an original song with lyrics accompanied by whatever instrumentation is chosen by the applicant. Both lyrics and music must be original and not based on any prior work.
- The entry must be submitted as a MP3 or MP4a file, which should be named only with the title of the song. One copy of the lyrics must also be submitted as a PDF. Neither of these items may indicate the name of the applicant or their school. Applicants should retain copies of their recordings and lyrics since the Foundation will not undertake to return materials.
- In the case of a joint or co-written song:
- All applicants must meet all eligibility requirements.
- Such a jointly written work will be considered as a single entry.
- Should a jointly written work receive any type of award under this contest, the scholarship will be divided equally between applicants.
- Applicants must warrant that they have not assigned any rights in the submitted work to a major music publisher or major record label.
Deadline: February 1, 2018