Who Can Apply: Kids’ Chance of Nebraska is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that provides scholarships for children of workers who have been killed, seriously injured, or experienced a debilitating illness in a work-related incident. Scholarships are awarded once a year and students may apply every year for which they are eligible. Current annual scholarship amounts range from $2,500-$5,000 and are determined based on the student’s financial need.
- Must be between the ages of 16 – 25 years old
- Must have a high school diploma, GED or a high school student in good standing (who will graduate in the current academic year).
- Dependent of a parent who suffered either an employment related fatality or injuries that have had a significant adverse effect on family income.
- Proceeds can be used for vocational / technical school, junior college, undergraduate or graduate programs
- Proceeds must be used for tuition, fees or room and board only (not COA).
- Prior to award of the scholarship, applicant must provide proof of acceptance. This can be accomplished by either submitting the formal acceptance letter from the institution, or providing documentation (transcripts, tests scores) meeting the institution’s minimum admission criteria.
- Scholarship awards are contingent on availability of funds and may be renewed
- Scholarship funds will be paid out each semester upon approval of board that recipient is still attending educational institution and meeting required criteria
- Copy of First Report of Injury, if available. If no First Report of Injury is available, please provide a short description of your parent’s employment at the time of injury.
- Copy of completed FAFSA
- If possible: Student Aid Report (SAR) from FAFSA processing center; Financial Aid Award letter and Student Account Statement from educational institution.
Deadline: June 1, 2023