Who Can Apply: Established in memory of Corporal Manuel Hernandez, Jr., who honorably served his country in the Republic of South Vietnam in 1969. Manuel attended Roy Miller High School and left in the fall of 1968 to join the United States Army. He graduated infantry training at Fort Bliss and was assigned to serve with A Company, 1st Battalion, 20th Infantry Regiment, part of the the 11th Light Infantry Brigade, American Division. On April 28, 1969, at the age of nineteen years, Manuel was shot and killed in an operation off Iron Mountain. He is buried in Rose Hill Cemetery. Corporal Hernandez was decorated with the Ntional Defense Medal, the Good Conduct Medal, the Vietnam Service Medal, the Vietnam Campaign Medal, the Purple Heart and the Bronze Star.
- Be graduating seniors from Roy Miller High School, who will be entering college in the fall semester immediately following graduation
- Have a minimum GPA of 80% on a 100% scale
- Demonstrate financial need
- Submit an essay titled “Keeping These United States Free & at Peace with the World”
- Be enrolled at any accredited college or university in the United States of America
Deadline: March 1, 2020
Learn More: http://www.cbcfoundation.org/?page_id=3231