Who Can Apply: The Mary E. Berger Scholarship was established with a gift from Mary E. Berger and a future gift by the estate of Mary E. Berger to assist students who wish to attend college or university or professional school to pursue studies in art, music, history, political science, English, journalism and related liberal arts subject.
Applicants to the Mary E. Berger Scholarship Fund must:
- Be enrolled at any high school from the Virginia cites of Fredericksburg and Lynchburg or the counties of Caroline, King George, Stafford, Spotsylvania and Orange.
- Have a GPA of 2.5 or greater.
- Demonstrate strong academic work, and participation in school extra curricular activities as Art club, Band and or Orchestra, Drama club, school publications, debate club as well as sports that indicate involvement beyond class room studies.
- Leadership in school activities and community service, based on the student’s extracurricular and community involvement, is a key determining factor for scholarship reviewers.
- Demonstrate plans to attend an institution of higher learning, which may be a 2-year or a 4-year college or university or professional school (May be renewed. Contact the Community Foundation for renewal application instructions.)
- A copy of the Student Aid Report (SAR) Summary page as documentation of financial need.
- Two letters of reference addressing the student’s academic promise and character. The letters must be from different sources such as teacher, volunteer coordinator, adult supervisor, employer, etc.
- A two-page typed double spaced essay that includes the following:
- Explain reasons for applying for this scholarship, long term goals, and plans for achieving them.
- Outline school extracurricular activities and community service.
Deadline: March 1, 2020