Who Can Apply: The Outstanding Youth College Fund scholarship program was established to provide financial assistance to current and former foster youth who are determined to pursue a college education or job skills training in order to become financially self supporting. This award is a “last dollar grant” and is intended to address any unmet need left after a student has received his or her financial aid package. Preference will be given to students who have successfully completed one to two semesters of college. However, high school students with a strong academic record and clear academic and professional goals will also be considered.
- Be a current or emancipated foster youth
- Be accepted or planning to attend a 2 year College, 4 year University, Vocational, Trade or Technical school in the Sacramento region in the fall
- Preference will be given to those who have successfully completed 24 college credits
- Have a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA
- Enroll in and complete a minimum of 12 units per semester
- Plan to work a minimum of 10 hours per week while attending college
Submission: Essay: Please provide an essay which provides a compelling self-portrayal and demonstrates your will to succeed based on the following questions:
- What is your career goal and why have you chosen this path?
- Is there an individual or event which has influenced you?
- How do you measure or define success?
- Why is receiving this scholarship important to continuing your education?
Deadline: June 10, 2016
Amount: $500 to $3,000