Who Can Apply:
- Applicants must be students who GRADUATED high school in the southeast Texas Region or students attending a southeast Texas-area college/university.
- While not required, preference is given to students attending institutions that have official Public Relations Student Society of America Chapters sponsored by PRSA Houston. These institutions include the University of Houston, Sam Houston State University, Stephen F. Austin University, Texas A&M University, and Lamar University. Students attending other institutions are still encouraged to apply for the scholarship.
- Recipient must have a declared major in communications, public relations, journalism or marketing and have a desire to practice the public relations profession.
- Preferred minimum grade point average of 3.25 in the major and 3.00 overall.
Applications will be judged on the following criteria:
- Writing Sample
- Participation in professional organizations participation and leadership (preference given to PRSSA participation)
- Community involvement, collegiate activities, letters of recommendation
- Work experience
- Financial need
- Finalists will be invited to an in-person interview. The final decision will be based on the combined application (50%) and interview scores (50%).
- The completed application form.
- Official transcript
- Letter of recommendation.
- Writing assignment: Write a press release stating you are the winner of our scholarship this year. Include characteristics you have that made your application stand out above the other applicants, as well as any other information you feel would be appropriate for a press release. The quality of writing will weigh heavily on the decision of who will be the scholarship recipient. Be sure to use AP style writing. You will want to closely check spelling and grammar. The writing sample should be one page, typed in MS Word.
- Optional: Work Sample
Deadline: June 1, 2020