Who Can Apply: The Cap Lathrop Endowment Scholarship Fund was established in 1997 in memory of Captain “Cap” Lathrop who was a pioneer in Alaska’s telecommunications and broadcast industry. The Endowment, one of The CIRI Foundation’s several scholarship endowment programs, was funded with contributions from its major donor, A.E. “Augie” Hiebert, founder of Northern Television, Inc., General Communications, Inc., and other private donors. The Cap Lathrop Scholarship is offered to all eligible and qualified Alaska Natives with preference given to enrollees/direct lineal descendants of Cook Inlet Region, Inc. (CIRI) who are majoring in broadcast, telecommunications, business, engineering, journalism, and other media-related fields.
- Be an Alaska Native original enrollee of a regional or village corporation as provided in the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act of 1971 (ANCSA) or a direct lineal descendant of an original enrollee. Preference is given to original enrollees and direct lineal descendants of Cook Inlet Region, Inc. (CIRI).
- Be enrolled or accepted into an accredited or authorized college or university as a full-time student.
- Be a declared major in a 2-year, 4-year, or graduate degree program with a major in broadcast, telecommunications, business, engineering, journalism, and other media-related fields.
- A 3.0 cumulative grade point average or higher
- Intend to work in Alaska in the broadcast/telecommunications industry in some capacity upon completion of the degree program and describe such intent in the Statement of Purpose.
- Amount may be up to $4000 per academic year (August-July). Award amount is subject to available funds.
- Upon receiving an award, students must maintain all funding requirements in order to remain in good standing with TCF and remain eligible for future funding
- Failure to maintain funding requirements may result in probation and/or infraction status with potential loss of funding
- Fund uses: direct educational expenses including tuition, student registration fees, course-required book/supplies, and on-campus house and meal plans. Personal expenses in the amount of $500 per term can be awarded only if all other costs have been covered
- Applicants will be evaluated based on the information submitted with their application
- Awards are subject to available funding
Deadline: June 1, 2020
Learn More: https://thecirifoundation.org/scholarships/