Who Can Apply: The Patti Rose Scheimer Bednarik Memorial Scholarship Fund has been created to support the award of an annual scholarship to a law school student or lawyer in practice for less than 3 years who demonstrates an outstanding commitment to animal law/animal welfare. The maximum annual award will be $5,400.
To be eligible, applicants must be Pennsylvania residents enrolled in an accredited law school in the US or licensed Pennsylvania lawyers admitted to practice less than three (3) years. Applicants must perform volunteer service to an animal welfare organization before, during and/or after law school; or engage in scholarship in the field of animal law and animal welfare, including reading, research, writing and clinical work; or perform pro bono legal work in the field of animal welfare.
- Proof of Pennsylvania residency as documented by applicant’s current voter registration card or current Pennsylvania driver’s license;
- Your name, mailing address, phone number, email address, and if currently enrolled in law school – the name and address of the school and your current year in school.
- Two letters of recommendation, at least one from a law school professor who can attest to the applicant’s legal studies related to animal law/animal welfare or a board member or director of an organization who can attest to the applicant’s work or service to animal law/animal welfare;
- Your most recent resume;
- A one to three page narrative describing your interest in animal issues. Applicants will be evaluated based on the degree to which they address the following areas:
- Describe any animal law (or animal protection) activities and experience (academic, volunteer, activism, employment, etc.) to date.
- If applicable, describe how your law school education will help you to be a better advocate for animals.
- Describe how you see yourself protecting the welfare of animals through the legal system.
- Describe how receiving this scholarship will help advance your commitment to animal law/animal welfare.
- Additionally, please feel free to submit any papers, pleadings, law review or newspaper articles that demonstrate
your animal law/animal welfare volunteer service.
Deadline: July 1, 2015