Who Can Apply: This scholarship fund was created in March 1991 by Union Bank and Trust in recognition of the many years of devoted service which Mr. Walton Mahon gave to the bank. Mr. Mahon worked for Union Bank and Trust for 42 years, serving as President for 25 of those years. He continued to lead the bank after his retirement for another 9 years as a member of the Board of Directors, serving the bank for over 50 years in all.
With their gift, Union Bank and Trust wished to support the college or university education of a Caroline County student or students wishing to pursue a career in business. This fund will award at least one scholarship to a promising Caroline County high school senior.
Applicants to the Walton Mahon Scholarship Fund must:
- Be a senior from any Caroline County High School or a home schooled student residing in Caroline County.
- Have a high level of academic achievement demonstrated by a GPA of 3.0 or greater.
- Demonstrate plans to attend a community college or a four-year college or university.
- Financial need is a consideration but may not be the determining factor.
- A copy of the Student Aid Report (SAR) Summary page as documentation of financial need.
- Two (2) letters of reference addressing the student’s academic promise and character. The letters must be from different sources such as teacher, volunteer coordinator, adult supervisor, employer, etc.
- An essay of up to 900 words that includes the following:
- Describe how you have contributed to the life of your community through extracurricular activities, church activities, performing & visual arts, or other volunteer activities
- Reflect on the personal significance of those activities as they demonstrate a high standard of citizenship.
Deadline: March 1, 2020