Who Can Apply: Applicants to The William and Susanna Botts Scholarship for Immigrants must:
- Be a graduating senior from any PD 16 area high school (Caroline, Fredericksburg, King George, Spotsylvania, Stafford)
- Be an immigrant or refugee to America and may have documented status, deferred status (e.g. Dreamers) or undocumented status
- Be a highly motivated and/or high achieving student with a minimum 3.0 GPA
- Demonstrate financial need
- Demonstrate either:
- plans to attend an institution of higher learning, which may be a 2-year or a 4-year college, or
- plans to pursue any skilled trade, vocational or technical education certification or degree, or a similar business program
- Two letters of recommendation: one from a teacher and one from a teacher, counselor, coach, employer or other individual who knows you well.
- A copy of the Student Aid Report (SAR) Summary page as documentation of financial need.
- An essay of no more than 900 words that answers the following:
Describe your family and educational background, including any challenges you faced as a newcomer in America. What are some of your academic achievements, and how have you overcome obstacles in your educational journey? Explain how your volunteer experiences and/or involvement in the community have affected your goals in life. Please include the field of study you plan on pursuing and how your education will prepare you to contribute back to society.
Deadline: March 1, 2020