Victoria Ovis Memorial Scholarship (Deadline: July 1, 2018)
Who Can Apply: The Victoria Ovis Memorial scholarship is awarded annually to a child of a law enforcement officer or firefighter who was killed or permanently disabled in the line of duty. Awards are based on financial need as well as scholarship and other achievements, such as a demonstrated leadership, outstanding performance in the arts or sports, and/or volunteer activities benefiting the community. The recipient of this award must be a student from or reside and attend school in New York State or the New York metro area. A declared major is not required, but preference will be given to eligible candidates who are majoring in criminology or pre-law.
- The applicant must have been conceived prior to the death of the eligible officer or firefighter.
- An applicant who is an adopted child must have been adopted by the eligible officer or firefighter prior to, or the adoption process must have begun prior to, the date of the death.
- An applicant who is a stepchild must have been listed as a dependent on the eligible officer or firefighter’s federal and state income tax returns in the income tax years immediately prior to the death.
- Awards are based on financial need as well as scholarship and other achievements, such as a demonstrated leadership, outstanding performance in the arts or sports, and/or volunteer activities benefiting the community.
- Candidates must have grown up or currently reside and attend school in New York state or the metro New York area.
- Candidates must be pursuing their first Bachelor’s degree, Associate’s degree, or Certificate at any accredited college, university or technical/vocational institution in the United States that participates in the federal financial aid programs offered through the U.S. Department of Education.
- Candidate must be enrolled as a full-time student for the upcoming academic year.
- Candidate must maintain a 2.7 out of 4.0 grade point average, or the equivalent as documented by the Office of the Registrar at the academic institution.
- Candidate must be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States attending school in the United States.
- Current First Responders Children’s Foundation officers and employees, and members of their immediate families are not eligible to apply.
Deadline: July 1, 2018