Who Can Apply: The Wings for Val Foundation honors the legacy of Lieutenant Valerie Cappelaere Delaney (May 14, 1986 – March 11, 2013) through a mission to support women in aviation and to inspire the next generation of female leaders. This scholarship honors the legacy of Captain Sara Knutson Cullen, a UH-60 Blackhawk helicopter pilot for the U.S. Army who perished on the same day as Val in Afghanistan. Her family shares that Sara was smart, funny, and driven to succeed. She had a strong faith and positively impacted those around her through her wit, kindness, and joyfulness.
- This scholarship is open to a female WAI member from any country, 18 years of age or older.
- This scholarship will be awarded to an individual pursuing a private helicopter (rotary wing) pilot license.
- Applicants are encouraged to research Captain Cullen and draw similarities to her.
- FAA Class 1-3 Medicals are preferred; Basic Medical will be considered.
- Scholarship funds will be paid directly to the winner’s flight school of choice and must be used within a year of receiving the award.
- two (one-page) recommendation letters
- typed, descriptive 500-word essay
- professional résumé
- copies of all aviation and medical certificates and the last three pages of your pilot logbook (if applying for flight scholarships). Other applicable information as requested for each specific award/grant/scholarship.
Deadline: November 12, 2018