The Wings for Val Foundation Lieutenant Valerie Cappelaere Delaney Memorial Scholarship (Deadline: November 12, 2018)
Who Can Apply: The Wings for Val Foundation honors the legacy of Lieutenant Valerie Cappelaere Delaney (May 14, 1986 – March 11, 2013) through a mission to support women in aviation and to inspire the next generation of female leaders. Val achieved her lifelong dream of becoming a pilot when she earned her “Wings of Gold” in 2012 and started flying the EA-6B Prowler for the U.S. Navy. Just a year later, Val tragically lost her life in a training mission.
At her funeral, over 200 fellow women military aviators honored Val and their collective sisterhood by presenting their coveted aviator wings, which are now on display at the Women’s Memorial at Arlington National Cemetery. Val was an avid member of WAI and knew the importance of reaching forward to seek mentorship, while also reaching back to support and inspire those behind her. She was strong willed, determined, faithful, compassionate, and approached any obstacle with the mindset to “adapt and overcome.” The Wings for Val Foundation raises money to support annual scholarships for young women pursuing ambitious careers in aviation.
- This scholarship is open to a female WAI member from any country, 18 years of age or older.
- This scholarship will be awarded to an individual pursuing a private fixed wing pilot license.
- Applicants are encouraged to research Lieutenant Delaney and draw similarities to her.
- FAA Class 1-3 Medicals are preferred; Basic Medical will be considered.
- Scholarship funds will be paid directly to the winner’s flight school of choice and must be used within a year of receiving the award.
- two (one-page) recommendation letters
- typed, descriptive 500-word essay
- professional résumé
- copies of all aviation and medical certificates and the last three pages of your pilot logbook (if applying for flight scholarships). Other applicable information as requested for each specific award/grant/scholarship.
Deadline: November 12, 2018