Who Can Apply: Dr. Harry R. “Bob” Glahn, retired longtime Director of the NOAA/National Weather Service Meteorological Development Laboratory, is providing full funding for the “Bob Glahn Scholarship in Statistical Meteorology.” The scholarship amount is $2,500 making it the largest scholarship offered by the NWA Foundation.
The Bob Glahn Scholarship in Statistical Meteorology was established by Dr. Bob (Harry R.) Glahn in 2012. Dr. Glahn established the Bob Glahn Scholarship in Statistical Meteorology to aid students in their final two years of undergraduate study, enrolled in a program of meteorology or atmospheric science with a demonstrated interest in statistical meteorology. The Bob Glahn Scholarship in Statistical Meteorology may be awarded in an amount up to $2,500 per year to one or more qualified students to cover qualified education expenses such as tuition, fees, and course-related expenses such as books, supplies, and equipment. Applicants must have one or more semesters to complete after the scholarship is awarded.
1. Any undergraduate (in their junior year or higher) may apply. If the undergraduate student is classified as a senior they must either have one more semester to complete after the scholarship is awarded.
The intent for this scholarship is to support someone who has a true interest in statistics and might be interested in a career in meteorology related to statistics. Good evidence of this would be some coursework in statistics or probability theory plus an expressed and demonstrated interest in this aspect of the profession.
2. Applicants MUST ensure that all application materials, including transcripts and recommendation letters, are received by the closing date. If not, the applicant’s application will be disqualified.
3. Past recipients of the Bob Glahn Scholarship in Statistical Meteorology are ineligible. While students are encouraged to apply for multiple NWAF scholarships, the NWAF will not award a student multiple scholarships in any given academic year.
4. US citizens, or students with residence status, attending a US accredited college or university is required.
A. The application deadline is May 25, 2023 (subject to Foundation approval each year). The recommendation deadline is June 8, 2023.
B. Applicant must complete the National Weather Association Foundation Scholarship Application
C. Applicant must provide the following with the Scholarship Application for the application to be considered complete:
1. Current transcript. Unofficial copies are accepted; however, an official transcript may be requested.
2. List of extracurricular and volunteer activities conducted during college career including paid and unpaid internships.
3. GPA on all official transcripts for previous education.
4. Essay from selected questions provided with the Scholarship Application.
5. Two recommendations with a minimum of one being academic in nature. No relatives.
Deadline: May 25, 2023
Learn More: https://app.smarterselect.com/programs/88138