Who Can Apply: The David Sankey Minority Scholarship in Meteorology honors the legacy of NWA Charter Member David Sankey (1946-2000). The fund was established in 2002 to aid minority students in their sophomore year or higher of undergraduate study, or in graduate study, enrolled in a program of meteorology or atmospheric science (or related field). The David Sankey Minority Scholarship in Meteorology may be awarded in an amount up to $1,000 per year to one qualified student to cover qualified education expenses such as tuition, fees, and course-related expenses such as books, supplies, and equipment. Applicants must have one or more semesters to complete after the scholarship is awarded.
1. Any minority undergraduate (going into their sophomore year or higher in the fall) or graduate student who is majoring in meteorology (or related field) may apply. If the undergraduate student is classified as a senior, they must either have one more fall (Sep. – Dec.) semester to complete after the scholarship is awarded, or they must document that they have been accepted into graduate school.
2. Applicants MUST ensure that all application materials, including transcripts and recommendation letters, are received by the closing date. If not, the applicant’s application will be disqualified.
3. Past recipients of the “David Sankey Minority Scholarship” are ineligible. While students are encouraged to apply for multiple NWAF scholarships, the NWAF will not award a student multiple scholarships in any given academic year.
4. US citizens, or students with residence status, attending a US accredited college or university is required.
A. The application deadline is May 25, 2023 (subject to Foundation approval each year). The recommendation deadline is June 8, 2023.
B. Applicant must complete the National Weather Association Foundation Scholarship Application
C. Applicant must provide the following with the Scholarship Application for the application to be considered complete:
1. Current transcript. Unofficial copies are accepted; however, an official transcript may be requested.
2. List of extracurricular and volunteer activities conducted during college career including paid and unpaid internships.
3. GPA on all official transcripts for previous education.
4. Essay from selected questions provided with the Scholarship Application.
5. Two recommendations with a minimum of one being academic in nature. No relatives.
Deadline: May 25, 2023
Learn More: https://app.smarterselect.com/programs/88135