Who Can Apply:
- Floods are one of the most dangerous and deadly natural disasters that affect countless lives and communities around the world. In 2020 alone, over 6,000 people lost their lives due to floods and over 34 million were affected, including those who were injured, displaced, or left homeless. As climate change makes flooding more frequent and more intense, it’s critical that students who are passionate about pursuing careers reducing the impacts of floods have the resources they need to succeed.
- This scholarship seeks to motivate college students entering their junior or senior year, pursuing a STEM focused course of study, including engineering, planning, or biological, earth and social sciences, at an accredited public or private college or university in California, Nevada, or Hawaii, to pursue careers in flood risk reduction and equitable solutions to reduce the impacts of floods on people and communities.
Submission: To apply, please describe the main challenges to reducing the impacts of floods and how you can make a difference by addressing flood issues. Potential Discussion Topics:
· The effects of climate change on flood hazards and adaptation solutions.
· The role of technology and innovation in flood risk management.
· The significance of community engagement and equitable solutions in mitigating flood risks.
Deadline: April 30, 2024