Who Can Apply:
- The applicant must:
- Be at the pre-doctoral/graduate level, post-doctoral level, or junior faculty within the first six* years of their first faculty appointment (including prior appointments in universities outside of North America) at the start of the award (faculty appointment starting no earlier than July 1, 2017). *The standard eligibility period for junior faculty is within five years of the applicant’s first faculty appointment. In consideration of the COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on researchers, AASLD Foundation has extended the eligibility window for the 2023 Awards cycle. This extension is not anticipated for future cycles.
- Be a member of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD) at the time of award application and maintain active membership for the duration of the award period.
- Be able to devote at least 20% effort to research activities related to this award.
- Be sponsored by a public or private non-profit institution accredited in the United States, Canada or Mexico engaged in health care and health-related research. Individuals employed at the NIH, FDA, and CDC are not eligible to apply.
- Have a mentor or co-mentor who is an AASLD member in good standing at the time of application and for the duration of the award period.
- The proposed project must:
- Focus on research pertaining to the pathogenesis, diagnosis, management, or outcome of autoimmune liver diseases in children and/or adults.
- Not be an established project with alternate funding.
- Be conducted at the sponsoring institution within the United States, Canada or Mexico.
- Application limits:
- There is no restriction on the number of applicants an institution can sponsor each cycle, but only one applicant may be funded per distinct department within each institution in this award category.
- Applicants may only apply for one AASLD Foundation research award per application year. Eligible applicants in this category may also apply for the AASLD Foundation Advanced/Transplant Hepatology Award in the same calendar year.
- Use pages 6-7 of the RFA as cover pages. Type responses.
- Include only the required documents and provide signatures as requested.
- Include a header at the upper right corner of each page with your name (last name, first name) and award name.
- Use half-inch margins. Do not use lettering smaller than 10 point.
- Adhere to page limits and complete all sections. Applications that do not meet the requirements, in content or format, will not be reviewed.
Deadline: December 5, 2022