Who Can Apply:
- “The best motivation in life is knowing what you’re fighting for.” – Cat Zingano
- When Cat was in her early twenties and attending college, her mother was diagnosed with stage 4 brain cancer. Her declining health was very difficult on Cat’s family, and when she passed in 2005, Cat had a lot to work through, making it difficult to focus on her education. Less than a year later, Cat’s son was born. Raising a newborn and going to school after recently losing her mom, Cat needed help and remains truly grateful for all support and resources that were made available to her.
- After school and finding much success in her early MMA career, Cat suffered another tragic loss. When her husband, who had helped guide her career, died in 2014, it was devastating and a very unexpected adjustment. He was a husband, employer, father and coach. Nothing has been the same for Cat and her son since that loss. They continue to feel the struggle, and the familial change still forces them to make accommodations every day. Just as Cat did after losing her mom, her and her son have no choice but to adapt and move forward.
- These tragedies have caused Cat to focus on what matters most in her life: raising her son. Whether in an MMA bout or facing daily challenges, she fights through to show him that one can’t let hardship conquer their life and that a new normal can be obtained after tragedy.
- Cat is an inspiration to many for the fight she displays in all aspects of her life. The Cat Zingano Overcoming Loss Scholarship will be awarded to a student who is fighting through their own loss of a close family member, legal guardian or loved one, and is in need of financial support for their education as they move forward.
Deadline: March 17, 2023