Who Can Apply: In February 1989, Evelyn Lenander from Buffalo Lake, Minnesota established a fund to provide scholarships for college students majoring in elementary education. Evelyn was born in Renville County. She attended St. Cloud Teachers College and graduated with a two-year teaching degree in 1929. She and her husband farmed and Evelyn continued to teach. Evelyn Lenander was much loved and respected by her students during her 39-year career as an elementary education teacher. “I didn’t have children of my own. I had community children,” she said. Supporting students interested in pursuing elementary education career was important to Evelyn because, “You can’t be a good teacher by saying you want to be. A good teacher knows the basics and isn’t afraid to love the students.”
- College Student
- From: Attending a Minnesota College or University going into their 3rd or 4th year and have graduated from a MN high school.
- Major: Elementary Education.
- GPA: 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. Recipients must have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Completed 2 full years of college and accepted in a Minnesota College/University program leading to an elementary education degree.
- Preference will be given to permanent MN residents living within a 25 miles radius of Buffalo Lake and then eligibility will be expanded to include other students from Minnesota. All applicants should be permanent residents of the state of Minnesota.
- Planning to attend: 3-4th year of college
- Application General Questions
- Essay:2 page double spaced: What event or person has influenced your life the most? Share how and why this is important to the person you are becoming?
- Statement of Need and Responsibility: Briefly share a personal, life, or family circumstance affecting your need for this scholarship.
- List of Activities for:1) Community Service i.e. civic and church volunteer activities 2) Extracurricular School Activities i.e. school activities that are not graded 3) Work Experience
- Electronic Transcript: College Students:Must obtain a transcript from the college registrar office and upload as a PDF.Unofficial transcripts are acceptable if they are from the registrar’s office.
Deadline: March 1, 2024