Home » College Financial Aid for Non-Citizens

College Financial Aid for Non-Citizens

Step 3 (cont.) – Eligible Non-Citizens

If you are not a citizen of the United States, in order to qualify for Federal Student Aid you must be one of the following eligible non-citizens:

  1. Permanent Resident of the United States
  2. Conditional Resident of the United States
  3. Refugee, or granted asylum, or conditional entrant
  4. Parolee into the United States (for at least one year)
  5. Cuban-Haitian entrant
  6. Human Trafficking Victim
  7. Battered immigrants-qualified alien
  8. Citizen of the Freely Associated States* (the Republics of Palau, Marshall Islands, and the Federated States of Micronesia)

*Citizens of the Freely Associated States will qualify for some, but not all, Federal Student Aid programs.

Graduate Student photo


All FAFSA applications go through a match with the Social Security Administration’s records, and if you indicate an Alien Number on the application, it will also be matched with Department of Homeland Security records. If the information that you provide on your FAFSA is unable to be matched, you will be required to provide your educational institution’s financial aid office sufficient documentation to support your citizenship status.

LEARN MORE: Dependent Status for Financial Aid >>>