Who Can Apply: The George and Ellen Jane Petrie Scholarship was established by the Petrie family in honor of their parents. Both George and Ellen Jane were educators – George taught high school music in the Blue Springs and Raytown School Districts, and Music Therapy at UMKC after earning his PhD in Education; Ellen Jane taught business in the Hickman Mills and Raytown School Districts. Both cared deeply for their students and understood that it takes a resilient, passionate, and empathetic person to become a teacher. This scholarship has been established to support and encourage just this type of future educator.
- Must be pursuing an undergraduate degree in elementary or secondary education at UCM, UMKC, or Truman State;
- Must be at least a college freshman at time of application;
- Must have a cumulative college GPA of 2.5 or above;
- Preference may be given to graduates of Blue Springs, Raytown, or Hickman Mills high schools.
- A typed essay of approximately 500 words elaborating on your personal qualities, goals for the future and why you are pursuing a career in education.
- A reference letter from a current faculty member, advisor or activity sponsor.
Deadline: February 24, 2023