Who Can Apply:
- Hester Richardson Powell was a strong and caring mother who overcame many barriers in her almost 92 years of life.
- Hester was the sixth of twelve children, the daughter of sharecroppers, and the granddaughter of enslaved individuals. Though her parents did not have much formal education, Hester and all of her siblings earned college degrees or became entrepreneurs.
- As a lifelong educator, Hester inspired thousands of her students to become productive citizens as business owners, administrators, educators, and clinicians. Hester also lived a life of service to her community and church, making an impact on all she knew.
- This scholarship seeks to honor the life of Hester Richardson Powell by supporting students who share her spirit of love and service.
- Any female, African American high school senior who has at least a 2.7 GPA may apply for this scholarship.
Submission: To apply, tell us how you’ve demonstrated resilience to inspire someone else.
Deadline: February 28, 2024