Who Can Apply:
- My father, Jacques Borges, devoted his life to helping the Haitian community and acting as a mentor to younger Haitians, paving the way for their upward mobility in his community before he passed away.
- His early passion for giving back led him to become a civil engineer where he brought a spirit of excellence to every project he was involved in, both professionally and personally. He was passionate about finding solutions for the problems he saw in the world and providing mentorship and sponsorship to those who shared his civil engineering and community service passion. My father didn’t rest until he saw a tangible change in his community and there wasn’t a soul he wouldn’t help.
- To honor my father’s legacy and the work he did to give back to his community as a civil engineer, the Jacques Borges Memorial Scholarship will be awarded to one student of Haitian descent who is pursuing a civil engineering degree and who has large ambitions for the future of their community and a relentless desire to learn, grow and truly make a difference.
- To apply, you must:
- Be of Haitian descent.
- Be a high school senior or current undergraduate student.
- Plan to study civil engineering (if a high school senior) or be actively enrolled in a civil engineering program.
Submission: To apply, please write about why you’re passionate about becoming a civil engineer, the various problems you’d like to address in your community, and how you believe you can contribute to bringing forth solutions to these issues in honor of my father.
Deadline: June 28, 2023