Who Can Apply:
- Despite our circumstances we all have the capacity to affect positive change. Our pasts or present does not have to determine our future-we all have the capability to #BeACoffeeBean.
- The coffee bean message, popularized by best-selling author and motivational speaker Damon West, continues to positively impact individuals, teams, and organizations globally. Mr. West credits James Lynn Baker II with introducing him to this simple yet powerful approach to being an agent of change, regardless of the environment or circumstances in which we find ourselves.
- This scholarship aims to honor the life and enduring legacy of James Lynn Baker II by awarding a deserving African American student seeking to make a positive change in their community or country.
- We have three choices in the pot of boiling water called life. A carrot that turns soft, an egg that becomes hard, or a coffee bean, which changes the pot of boiling water to coffee. #BeACoffeeBean.
- Any African American, first-generation high school or undergraduate student in Texas may apply for this scholarship, but those with volunteering experience will be preferred.
Submission: To apply, identify an issue effecting your community/country that you would like to see changed and discuss how you would work to address this issue.
Deadline: March 29, 2024