Who Can Apply:
- Joseph C. Lowe (Joe) was a beloved son, brother, and husband who passed away suddenly at the early age of 39.
- Joe was passionate, especially about learning and history, specifically the American Civil War and the battle of Gettysburg.
- As a young man, he felt that understanding history was critical for everyone and decided to pursue a degree in teaching.
- Joe graduated from The University of Akron (Akron, Ohio) with a degree in education and, as a substitute teacher, shared his love of learning with many students until the day he decided to pursue his dream of becoming an official Gettysburg tour guide sharing his passion and knowledge of history, the Civil War, and Gettysburg.
- As a Renaissance man, Joe always sought to expand his horizons, even teaching himself how to play the banjo. He shared his talent with his local retirement communities and wineries.
- Joe was an avid lover of animals, especially dogs. He had a special place in his heart for sheltered animals and helping rescue those in need.
- This scholarship aims to honor the life of Joseph C. Lowe by supporting students who share his love of history and community improvement.
- Any high school senior or undergraduate student who has volunteering experience and is majoring in history may apply for this scholarship.
Submission: To apply, tell us why you’re interested in history and how you’ll use your passion in your future career.
Deadline: May 1, 2023