Who Can Apply:
- This scholarship honors the life of Loreen K. Odemu by supporting the next generation of Registered Nurses. The goal is to encourage students to pursue their desire to help those in need.
- Loreen did her O-level education at Loreto Convent Valley Road and then proceeded to her A-level at Makini school in Kenya.
- She then furthered her education at Western Illinois University and continued to Mac Murray College where she completed her Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing.
- Loreen was a Registered Nurse at Memorial Medical Center in Springfield, Illinois. She moved to California where she worked as an Emergency Room Nurse at Regional Medical Center of San Jose.
- Loreen (Kavu) is survived by her children Andrew and Eli Coker, her parents Charles and Mary Odemu, her siblings Evaline, Emilly, Violet, Humphrey, David and Diana Odemu. Her niece Gina and nephews Martin and Benjamin. Her Sister-in-Law Rose and Brother-in-Law Sam. She is preceded in death by her grandfathers Gerishon Mage and Andrew Mwavali.
- Kavu loved traveling and spending time at the beach with her boys. She also loved sharing her recipes, preparing meals and delivering to family and friends.
- She was a full member of Friends Church – Quakers and her catechism class in 2000 and conferred by Pastor Hudson Omenda.
- Loreen passed away peacefully in her sleep on September 3rd, 2022.
- Any high school senior, undergraduate or trade school student looking to pursue a career in nursing is eligible to apply for this scholarship. Students looking to become Registered Nurses will be given preference.
Submission: To apply, tell us what inspired you to pursue a career in nursing and what you hope to achieve through your career. Please also write about how you plan to help solve health issues as a way of preventing future pandemics.
Deadline: April 10, 2024