Who Can Apply: Established by the Fraternal Order of Orioles, Lehighton Nest #183 to provide financial assistance for higher education to current participants (male or female) in the Boy Scouts of America or Girl Scouts of the USA in Carbon County. The Orioles Scouting Scholarship shall be a one-year, non-renewable scholarship awarded annually to a qualified graduating high school senior (or home-schooled student who has a state recognized graduation certificate/diploma) residing in Carbon County, PA, who is seeking to further their education at a 4 or 2-year college or technical school. Minimum qualifications for the scholarship include:
- Must be currently enrolled in a scouting organization (either BSA or GS of USA)
- A proven record of academic success with at least a 3.0 GPA cumulative average over the time period of two years prior to graduation
- Candidates will be asked to submit a short essay (500 words or less) to describe the most important thing s/he has done to help make a difference in the community
- Preference will be given to applicants with a strong track record of volunteerism and community service
- Financial need will be considered in the selection process. A copy of the expected family contribution page of the FAFSA report must be submitted with application. The Foundation reserves the right to request the full FAFSA at their discretion.
Deadline: March 1, 2024