Who Can Apply:
- The applicant must:
- Have a faculty appointment and be at least three years from their first appointment at the Assistant Professor level up to an Associate Professor at the start date of the award (faculty start date must be July 1, 2020, or earlier).
- Be a member of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD) at the time of award application and maintain active membership for the duration of the award period.
- Be able to devote at least 20% effort to the research project on which this application is based
- Be sponsored by a public or private non-profit institution accredited in the United States, Canada or Mexico engaged in health care and health-related research. Individuals employed at the NIH, FDA, and CDC are not eligible to apply.
- If the applicant is at the rank of Assistant Professor, they must have a mentor or co-mentor who is an AASLD member in good standing at the time of application and for the duration of the award period. Mentors are not required for Associate Professor level applicants or equivalent.
- Not hold federal funding (e.g., U, P, R, K, VA Merit, VA CDA) unless they are able to justify the following in their application:
- The project is truly completely distinct and non-overlapping from existing funding.
- The proposed work cannot be completed using existing funds.
- The proposed project must:
- Not be an established project with alternate funding and must be clearly different than existing research portfolio of the PI.
- Be hypothesis based.
- Include only 1-2 aims that can be completed within the one-year award term.
- If the project is Clinical/Translational/Outcomes Research, intervention must involve a direct clinical interaction with patients (clinical), patient clinical data (outcomes), or patient samples (translational). No clinical interaction is required for Basic Research proposals.
- Be conducted at the sponsoring institution within the United States, Canada, or Mexico.
- Application limits:
- There is no restriction on the number of applicants an institution can sponsor each cycle, but only one applicant may be funded per distinct department within each institution in this award category.
- Applicants may only apply for one AASLD Foundation award per calendar year.
- Use pages 5-6 of the RFA as cover pages. Type responses.
- Include only the required documents and provide signatures as requested.
- Include a header at the upper right corner of each page with your name (last name, first name) and award name.
- Use half-inch margins. Do not use lettering smaller than 10 point.
- Adhere to page limits and complete all sections. Applications that do not meet the requirements, in content or format, will not be reviewed.
Deadline: December 5, 2022