Who Can Apply:
- The arts can be a valuable outlet for creative expression, passion, and growth.
- Unfortunately, the arts are often underfunded in schools and many students are discouraged from pursuing them in college and the professional world, with parents and teachers encouraging students to pursue more traditional career paths.
- Sam derived much of her artistic energy from experimenting with different mediums and always sought unusual ways to express her creativity. The mediums she worked with included paint, Plasti-Dip, pastels, ceramics, CAD, metal, fabric, glass, egg shells, double yolk eggs, and many repurposed items. Two examples of her more unusual works are the 360 degree scenes she painted inside egg shells and her glass and double yolk egg work Egg Hex, which is based on the superstition that if you crack a double yolk egg, someone close to you will die. In her video, she opens double yolk eggs, takes out the extra yolk, puts it in a glass vessel, and reattaches the egg halves in a variety of ways.
- From junior high to college, her work won local acclaim and prizes until her life was cut short by cancer at 22.This scholarship aims to honor the life of Samantha S. Roberts by supporting students from the Midwest who are passionate about art.
- Any high school or undergraduate student from WI, IL, IA, MI, MN, KS, NE, or OH who is pursuing art may apply for this scholarship, but applicants pursuing studio art are preferred.
Submission: To apply, tell us about yourself, what type of art you’re passionate about, and what you’d like to do after college.
Deadline: July 30, 2024