Headline »

Let’s face it financial aid is as confusing as it is necessary to a college education! That is why we have designed this website to act as a guide and solution to your financial aid concerns. Please use our free resource to find answers to your questions on every type of college financial aid question! […]

Read the full story »
Financial Aid News
College Planning
Saving for College
Home » Financial Aid News, Scholarships

Win a Scholarship – Crosslites, Future Teachers, Tall People Scholarships

Submitted by

I have four wonderful scholarship opportunities for you today. Each of these has a December or January deadline, so you don’t have much time to get your applications in. With most of you getting ready for finals and term papers, you may want to add the later deadline apps to your winter break to-do list.

Once a week (on Thursdays, if I get myself organized in time), I list three or more scholarships with upcoming deadlines. The vast majority of the scholarships posted here on the Financial Aid Finder blog are available to students nationwide, so you should be eligible for many of the opportunities here.

1. Crosslites Scholarship: $250 – $2,000
Crosslites Scholarship contest, in honor of veterinarian Dr. Parker, is open to any high school, undergraduate or graduate school student who writes a winning 400-600 word essay based on an original quote from Dr. Parker. Applicants compete against other applicants of their same grade level. High school, undergraduate and graduate students each have their own 1st place ($2,000), 2nd place ($1,500), 3rd place ($1,000), 4th place ($500) and 5th place ($250) prizes. There are no minimum grade or standardized test requirements, although applicants must submit a transcript. Judges will rank each essay, which accounts for 10 percent of your overall “score”. The other 90 percent is comprised of online voting. See website for deadline! To submit your essay, please visit the website (www.crosslites.com).

2. The Applegate / Jackson / Parks Future Teacher Scholarship: $1,000

Are you a graduate or undergraduate student majoring in education at a United States institution of higher learning? The scholarship is awarded on the basis of the scholastic ability of the American education student who best exemplifies the dedication to principle and high professional standards. The scholarship is named for three Michigan school teachers, Carol Applegate, Kay Jackson, and Dr. Anne Parks, who were fired for refusing to join the union. Therefore the ideal candidate must be able to demonstrate understanding of the principles of voluntary unionism through an original essay on the topic of approximately 500 words. In addition to the essay, applicants must submit a formal application and their most up-to-date transcript of grades. See website for deadline. Go to the Applegate / Jackson / Parks Future Teacher Scholarship website to download an application.

3. The Paramount Foundation Scholarship: $750
Here’s an unusual scholarship. The Paramount Tall Club of Chicago (PTC) will give $750 to especially tall high school seniors living in Chicago. The winner will also be nominated for the Tall Clubs International (TCI) scholarship of $1,000. Applicants must be graduating from high school and planning to attend a two- or four-year college in the fall. They also must be at least 5’10” for females and 6’2” for males. The application includes a signed two-page scholarship application with a 250-500 word essay on “What Being Tall Means to Me.” Also include an official high school transcript, evidence of your ACT or SAT score, and two recommendations. See website for deadline.

4. Gates Millennium Scholars Program (GMS)

The Gates Millennium Scholars Program (GMS), established in 1999 and funded by a $1 billion grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, promotes academic excellence and provides an opportunity for outstanding minority students with significant financial need to reach their highest potential. The GMS program is a renewable award covering unmet educational need for undergraduate students. The program also has a leadership development component, focused on personal, academic and professional growth opportunities. More than three-quarters of all Gates Millennium scholars graduate college within five years. See website for deadline.

Good luck with your scholarship applications!

Tags: ,

Leave a comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.