Who Can Apply: The SPS and AAPT Mary Beth Monroe Memorial Scholarship was established by the Society of Physics Students and the American Association of Physics Teachers (AAPT) to recognize the outstanding academic and leadership accomplishments of physics majors who began their studies at a regionally accredited community college and who intend to pursue a career in physics education.
This scholarship honors Mary Beth Monroe, who was a physics professor and SPS advisor at Southwest Texas Junior College in Uvalde, TX for over 38 years. She was highly regarded by friends and colleagues for her inspiring lifelong commitment to the support and encouragement of physics students and her dedication to service at all levels in the Society of Physics Students and the American Association of Physics Teachers.
- Applicants must be students in their junior year of college who are majoring in physics or physics education
- Applicants must have started their education at a regionally accredited community college (this must be evident on their official transcripts)
- Applicants must demonstrate intent to pursue a career in education
- Applicants must be undergraduate members of the SPS national organization
- General information form
- Transcript: An official, current transcript must be sent directly to the SPS Scholarship Program by the applicant’s college or university. Transcripts must be postmarked by the application deadline and mailed to:
SPS Scholarship Program
1 Physics Ellipse
College Park, MD 20740
- Outline of the physics and related courses the applicant has taken and plans to take
- Written statement of the applicant’s career objectives
- Written statement of the applicant’s participation in SPS activities
- Certification from the Department Chair that the applicant is in good standing with the department and making satisfactory progress toward the degree
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty members familiar with the applicant and his or her qualifications. The recommenders should comment on the applicant in light of each of the three criteria:
- high scholarship performance both in physics and overall studies,
- the exhibition of the potential and intention for continued scholastic development in physics, and
- active participation in SPS programs.
Deadline: March 15, 2023
Learn More: https://www.spsnational.org/scholarships/sps-and-aapt-mary-beth-monroe-memorial-scholarship