Who Can Apply: The Stempel Travel Scholarship provides support to graduate students in FIU Stempel College to attend virtual conferences, scientific meetings or workshops to present papers, posters or for their participation in professional development workshops. Graduate students (master’s or PhD) in the College’s four programs, dietetics and nutrition, public health, social work and disaster management, may apply. Awards will be based on the quality of the paper or poster, the applicant’s response to the questionnaire on academic works, the faculty member’s letter of support, quality of the scientific conference or meeting/workshop, and adequate progress by the candidate toward completion of the degree.
• Must be a graduate student in the college (master’s or PhD)
• Applicant must have submitted an abstract; have had an abstract accepted for presentation at a conference or meeting; or must have applied and been accepted to attend a workshop for professional development.
• Students who are presenting can only apply if the abstract has been accepted.
• Stempel College graduate students are eligible to apply for up to one travel award per academic year.
• Priority will be given to students who are traveling in the semester in which the award is disbursed.
- The application must include a statement from you that includes the following: statement of professional purpose; research interests and goals for a career in your academic discipline; how the conference or meeting fits in the scope of your presentation; description of the research that you will be presenting and the contribution of the research to your discipline; your contribution to the research and writing of the paper or poster; relevance of the abstract/presentation/workshop and how it aligns with your professional goals; how the funding will help you achieve those goals.
- For professional development, include a statement of professional purpose; research interests and goals for a career in your academic discipline; relevance of the professional development event and how it aligns with your professional goals; what you will be doing at the event and what skills you will gain or learn that relate to your field; how the funding will help you achieve those goals. We highly recommend including an agenda for the event.
Deadline: January 28, 2024
Amount: $500 or $750