Who Can Apply:
- Picture books that feature children of color, tell stories of empowerment, and support literacy development are sorely needed in communities of color.
- Books are the backbone of society, imparting valuable lessons starting at a young age. For children, books are often some of their first encounters with the world, which can be formative experiences impacting how they view society. The importance of diverse voices and characters in books cannot be overstated.
- This scholarship is designed to empower BIPOC and multicultural women to live authentically and share their unique stories by supporting their studies in the creation of children’s picture books.
- Dr. Valerie Williams-Sanchez, the founder of Valorena Publishing and Cocoa Kids Collection®, envisions this scholarship to assist BIPOC and multicultural women pursuing studies relevant to the development of children’s picture books.
- Any female BIPOC/multicultural high school, undergraduate, or graduate student who has a creative portfolio and has published projects or is pursuing a course of study related to literacy, literature, poetry, writing, publishing, editing or illustration may apply for this scholarship.
Submission: To apply, tell us about yourself and answer one or more of the questions below.
1. How has literacy benefited you and your life?
2. How have picture books impacted your life?
3. What do you hope to achieve with your endeavors and how will this award help?
Deadline: March 12, 2024