Who Can Apply: The Visiting Geographical Scientist Program (VGSP) welcomes applications for the current academic year. Funded by Gamma Theta Upsilon (GTU), the International Geographical Honor Society, and managed by the AAG, the VGSP sponsors visits by prominent geographers to colleges and universities across the country. Its purpose is to stimulate interest in geography, especially in small departments that do not have the resources to bring in well-known speakers. Participating institutions select and make arrangements with the visiting geographer. The VGSP covers travel costs and provides a small honorarium; host institutions provide meals and housing.
- Download application form and view the speakers list.
- Organize prospective visit with at least one other institution (arrange tentative dates/times/venues).
- Contact prospective speaker from VGSP speaker list, or obtain AAG/GTU approval for a speaker not on the list (in this case, submit curriculum vitae of speaker to be approved and ensure they are a GTU member), and fix dates.
- If the proposed speaker is not a GTU member, please submit their CV along with a written statement to explain how they can promote geography AND GTU to a range of audiences (administrators, faculty, students, and the public). AAG/GTU will review and if accepted, the prospective speaker will be invited to become a GTU member before VGSP application is approved.
- Prepare a schedule of speaker activities while on campus (e.g., featured talk, meeting with student groups/related organizations; meeting with administration)
- Write a cover letter to address purpose of the talk and its benefit(s) to students and the department; topic(s) speaker will address; description of the student body and department; and how the speaker will be promoted on campus/community.
- Complete the VGSP application form, a schedule of speaker tour, and a cover letter for submission to the AAG.
Deadline: December 31, 2022
Learn More: https://www.aag.org/award-grant/vgsp/