Work Your Way Through School
There’s no doubt that college is costly — and getting more expensive every year. Even if you win top scholarships, take out some heavy duty student loans, and qualify for government grants, you will still probably need a bit of extra money to cover books, fees and living expenses. The best solution: Working your way through school.
For some of you, working your way through school means landing a 40 hours+ summer job and using your salary to cover rent and pizza during the year. For others, covering your school expenses will require a lot more than just a summer job. You will need to work part-time or even full-time while going to college as well. If you find yourself in that boat, you should check out the growing number of companies offering tuition benefits to employees.
Here is information on one such tuition-reimbursement plan, offered through UPS called Earn & Learn.
- Offers part-time employees $3,000 in tuition assistance plus $2,000 in forgivable loans per calendar year
- Lifetime maximum of $15,000 per employee
- Award increase to $4,000/year for management employees (lifetime maximum of $20,000)
- Has paid out more than $47 million in tuition assistance in last decade to over 30,000 student employees
- Employees are eligible for the benefit from the first day they are hired
- Available at 51 UPS locations
Other perks of working at UPS
- Better-than-minimum-wage salary
- Option to buy in for benefits such as health, dental and life insurance after one year of employment (part-time or full-time)
Search here for part-time employment opportunities at one of the Earn and Learn locations. If there isn’t an Earn and Learn location nearby (or if delivering packages just isn’t your thing), take some time to Google for other companies that offer great benefits to working students. And don’t be afraid to ask your future employer if they offer student employee benefits. Many do!