Who Can Apply:
- The UNCF Excellence in STEM Scholarship is a postsecondary scholarship program designed to support college persistence for rising second-year African American college students interested in pursuing STEM degrees and careers. The scholarship will help deserving students overcome the financial hurdle of college access while providing critical wrap-around services to help them meet and overcome common obstacles to college persistence.
- The American innovation and technology economy depends on a steady stream of talented and well-trained individuals entering the workforce, which is, in turn, dependent upon a robust STEM educational pipeline. Yet educational disparities and lack of opportunities that plague far too many African American students, threaten to deny these bright, capable youth the transformational opportunities that STEM can provide them. The UNCF Excellence in STEM Scholarship seeks to address both the need for increased diversity in STEM industries and the racial disparities that continue to negatively impact African American students’ interest, exposure, and pursuit of STEM opportunities and careers.
• Identify a pool of rising college sophomores who aspire to pursue a STEM degree. Awarding will take place during the scholar’s Sophomore year.
• Support the cost of education of these students by providing scholarship assistance to both help mitigate students’ unmet financial need and support their persistence through college.
• Provide wrap-around services to help these students overcome the common obstacles to college persistence.
Deadline: June 20, 2023