Who Can Apply:
- To qualify for this recognition, the nominee must be a current graduate student or postdoctoral scholar in the chemical sciences at the time of submission.
- Individuals may only be nominated and recognized for one category in a given year.
- One graduate student AND postdoctoral scholar may be recognized per certificate category each year. Departments are not required to nominate individuals in all three categories.
Submission: Departments in the chemical sciences with graduate students and postdoctoral researcher appointments globally may nominate a graduate student and/or postdoctoral scholar who has demonstrated outstanding efforts in any of the three categories:
- Leadership in Mentoring: This recognition category highlights outstanding efforts and impact in research and safety mentoring, broadly defined. Mentoring may involve peers in their own research group as well as outside groups, undergraduate/high school researchers, and participants in short-term research programs (e.g. summer programs, REUs, international exchanges).
- Leadership in the Promotion of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Respect: This recognition category highlights outstanding efforts that promote diversity, equity, inclusion, and respect in the program. Activities may include participation in recruitment to enhance diversity, engagement in impactful conversations that strengthen the culture of inclusivity, and efforts to identify and eliminate inequities in the department/institution-wide.
- Leadership in the Promotion of Research Safety: This recognition category highlights outstanding efforts to promote safety in research environments, broadly defined. Activities may include exemplary service as a safety officer, participation in efforts to enhance safety culture and awareness, and leadership in promoting safety in areas outside of the wet laboratory, including safety issues associated with computational and theoretical chemistry.
Deadline: June 30, 2023