Who Can Apply:
- James A. Cook (Jim) was born in Allegan, MI in 1948 as the fifth of eight children. He graduated from Allegan High School in 1966, excelling in the classroom and on the athletic fields, lettering in football, basketball, baseball, and track. He earned civil engineering degrees from Albion College, where he also played football and baseball, and the University of Michigan.
- After college, Jim enjoyed a successful 45+ year career in civil engineering eventually serving as President of Prein & Newhof from 2008-2012 and as Board Chairman from 2013 until his retirement at the end of 2015. Jim’s leadership and mentorship left a lasting impression on the firm that continues to this day.
- Despite his own talents in athletics and music and his career success, Jim always seemed to care even more about his role as a loving husband, father and grandfather. Nothing gave him greater joy than supporting and cheering on his children and grandchildren at their various pursuits – football games, tennis matches, baseball games, softball games, golf tournaments, guitar recitals, fishing and more.
- This scholarship seeks to honor Jim’s legacy of servant leadership and making the world around him a better place by supporting students who embody his spirit of servant leadership in their educational and extracurricular pursuits (athletics, music, community service, etc.).
- Any high school senior in Michigan may apply for this scholarship.
Submission: To apply, tell us how you practice servant leadership in your daily interactions with family, school and/or extracurricular activities and how you believe these actions positively impact those around you.
Deadline: May 1, 2023